When news happens send us your pictures, video and views. Text BE to 80360 or contact us by email
Hair dye horror: I thought I was going to die
A WOMAN phoned for an ambulance after an allergic reaction to a hair dye caused her face and head to swell dramatically.
Selma Jesus feared she was going to die after she used the £5.99 Clairol Nice n’ Easy black dye and her eyes started to close over while her forehead began to expand.
“I thought I was going to die,” she said.
“It was horrible and I’m still in shock. I could feel my forehead coming out.”
The 32-year-old did not carry out a small test of the dye on herself as recommended as she had used different colours by the same brand before.
Selma, of Christchurch Road, Bournemouth, said she was given an injection by paramedics and her GP gave her a prescription for tablets to relieve the swelling.
She went to hospital herself later the same day as the swelling continued and her fears grew.
The effect was still showing five days after using the black dye.
“I called an ambulance because I was desperate,” she said. “Now I have to take six tablets a day.”
A spokeswoman for Clairol said she would recommend users of any hair dye try a small area first.
She said: “We are sorry to hear about this situation.
“Our consumers’ safety and wellbeing is our absolute priority and we are keen to help however we can.
“We would encourage anyone with any questions about hair colourants to contact our consumer care team on freephone 0800 169 7669.
“Reactions to hair colourants can occur for a very small number of people, in the same way that some individuals can react to a variety of foods and natural substances.
“It is clearly stated on the pack that consumers should carry out a patch test each and every time the product is used.
“Millions of people all over the world use hair colourants without experiencing any adverse effects. In the UK around 100 million hair colourant applications are carried out every year in homes and salons.
“Hair colourants are one of the most thoroughly studied consumer products on the market and their safety is supported by a wealth of scientific research.”