Charity profile: A look at the work of the Wessex Autistic Society and how you can help (From Thisisdorset)
When news happens send us your pictures, video and views. Text BE to 80360 or contact us by email
Charity profile: A look at the work of the Wessex Autistic Society and how you can help
4:00pm Saturday 11th August 2012 in Latest
What is the mission of the Wessex Autistic Society?
“The Wessex Autistic Society is a voluntary organisation which aims to ensure that people with autism receive appropriate education, care, support and individual development services.
“We are dedicated to providing personalised support for people with autism and their families.
“We understand that everyone on the autism spectrum is unique, as will be the support and services that they and those who are concerned for them require. Operating in Dorset, Hampshire, Somerset and Wiltshire, we provide a range of education, social care and advocacy services to anyone who may need us.”
Why does the community need this charity?
“Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects the way a person relates to the world and other people around them. It affects 1 in 100 people and there is no known cure.
“It is a spectrum condition, which means that, some people with autism are able to live relatively independent lives whereas others may need a lifetime of specialist support.
“We understand that everyone with autism is unique, as will be the support and services that they and those who are concerned for them require.”
We provide the following...
- Portfield School – daily education and flexible boarding for 52 children and young people aged 3 to 19.
- Overnight and sessional short breaks for 50 children and families.
- Residential care and community supports providing 24-hour personalised support for adults and tailored social, leisure and employment support for adults and families.
- Free information and advice service to help people with autism and their families develop knowledge, access services and plan for the future.
Your donation makes a difference
- £20 – headphones for a child with auditory sensory issues.
- £40 – bicycle helmet enabling a child or adult to access safe recreation.
- £100 – dvds and books for shared library at Portfield school
To donate please go to: http://localgiving.com/charity/autismwessex