When news happens send us your pictures, video and views. Text BE to 80360 or contact us by email
Mobile phone robberies rise by 40% in Bournemouth in a year
MOBILE phone robberies in Bournemouth have risen by 40 per cent in the last year, latest statistics have revealed.
Figures show that almost a third of all robberies committed in the borough involve the theft of the victim’s mobile telephone.
But police say the actual number of reported robberies is relatively low and a dedicated team of officers are in place to investigate such crimes.
They are reminding people to take care and follow some simple crime prevention advice to avoid becoming a victim.
There were 92 robberies committed between January 1 and September 19 this year – a 21 per cent rise from the 76 the previous year.
Of those crimes 35 people were robbed of their mobile phone – a 40 per cent rise from the 25 in 2012.
Acting inspector Steve Lyne, of central Bournemouth section, said: “The percentage rise equates to an increase of 16 offences of robbery and 10 involving mobile phones since January.
“The numbers are still relatively low but Dorset Police take these matters very seriously and investigate every incident thoroughly.”
He said the force works with local partners to identify any trends and offer crime prevention advice to residents and visitors.
“Every incident is reviewed by a dedicated team and we put on additional patrols at key times in incident locations to prevent them from happening in the future.”
Police say avoid becoming a victim of mobile phone theft and robbery by following some simple steps:
- Keep your phone out of sight in your pocket or handbag when not in use.
- Use your phone's security lock code, if it has one.
- Obtain your phones unique IMEI number by typing *#06# (star hash 06 hash) into your phone.
- Record details of your electronic serial number (ESN) and consider separate insurance.
- Property mark your phone with your postcode and door number to help police identify stolen ones.
- Report a lost or stolen phone to the police immediately.
- Inform your service provider if your phone is stolen or lost as soon as possible.
Six incidents in 2013 still being investigated
- A 22-year-old Bournemouth man was pushed to the ground and robbed off his mobile phone and cash outside the Richmond Arms pub in Winton. The attack happened just after 2am on Tuesday September 3 on Ripon Road and the victim suffered minor injuries. Incident no: 03:309. CCTV image was released by police.
- A 16-year-old boy was threatened with a knife and pushed off his bike as he rode along Fisherman’s Walk in Southbourne at 8.45pm on Saturday September 7. The robber stamped on the victim’s face before demanding his watch and chain. Crime no: 13:37574.
- A 19-year-old Bournemouth man was held to the ground by two men and repeatedly punched in the face near Exbourne Manor on Christchurch Road at around 4.15am on Saturday August 31. The offenders stole his wallet and mobile phone. Incident no: 31:118.
- An 18-year-old was punched in the face and robbed of his phone by a gang of six or seven attackers in Bournemouth gardens between 1am and 2am on Saturday August 10. Incident no: 10:275
- A 32-year-old man had his laptop and iPhone stolen before being pushed to the ground in a robbery at the junction of Tregonwell Road and Cranborne Road in Westbourne at 11pm on Monday July 8. Incident no: 08:592
- A 33-year-old Bournemouth woman was approached by three men, restrained and robbed of her mobile phone and cash at the bus stop in Gervis Place, Bournemouth, between 4.45am and 5.15am on Sunday June 2. Incident no: 2:125. CCTV image was released by police.
Comments are closed on this article.