When news happens send us your pictures, video and views. Text BE to 80360 or contact us by email
Plea to help identify body pulled from sea
8:56am Wednesday 13th March 2013 in Latest
AN APPEAL has been launched to help identify a man who died after his body was dragged from icy seas at Bournemouth beach on Monday morning.
Updated: the man has been identified this afternoon. Click here for details.
The man, who is believed to be aged in his 30s, was pulled from the sea at Alum Chine by a member of the public who tried to resuscitate him, along with two passing cyclists and paramedics.
But despite frantic attempts to save his life, he was pronounced dead at Poole Hospital.
A post mortem was carried out yesterday but formal identification has yet to take place.
Coroner’s officers based at Stafford Road in Bournemouth are trying to trace the family of the dead man.
A spokesman said: “We still don’t know who he is and it is imperative that we find his relatives.
“Any help from the public would be appreciated.”
It is understood that Dorset police are liaising with neighbouring forces in a bid to identify the man.
A spokesman said his death is not being treated as suspicious. Witnesses told the Daily Echo how the man had been wearing black trousers when efforts were being made to revive him at around 7.40am. Coastguards searched the beach for his personal effects but nothing was found which could lead to his identification.
Until the man is formally identified an inquest cannot be opened into his death.
If you can assist in tracing the man’s next of kin, call coroner’s officer Carolyn Stuart on 01202 789353.